Archived Program: Coalitions in Action for Transgender Community Health (CATCH)
CATCH was funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC Award Number 1U65PS001676. 2009-2014. Greg Rebchook, PhD, Principal Investigator, Jae Sevelius, PhD, Co-Investigator).
The CATCH model is to develop local coalitions by organizing local "town halls" in order to guide a community mobilization process that promotes provider networking and community utilization of existing services. The coalitions lead data collection and analysis efforts, prioritize prevention needs, develop a comprehensive plan to strengthen community access to and utilization of HIV prevention services, and decide how to evaluate these efforts. The five core elements of the CATCH community mobilization model are:
- Transgender community participation
The heart of the CATCH Model is filled with participation from a wide range of community members, along with providers and other stakeholders.
- Community-driven data
Local, state and nationwide data will be gathered and used in order to establish transgender health priorities.
- Coalition-developed, comprehensive strategies to increase access to and utilization of HIV prevention services, including testing
With support from the CoE, community members will identify service gaps and barriers that contribute to high rates of HIV and low utilization of services in their communities, especially among the highest risk groups within the transgender community.
- Ongoing evaluation and feedback for program improvement
Coalition feedback and continual incorporation will improve and ensure active and diverse participation by the community in the mobilization project.
- Increased community capacity for health promotion
The CATCH model aims to increase the capacity of the community.
Publications and Reports
- CATCH Implementation Tool Kit
- Increasing Transgender Community Capacity to Impact HIV Prevention and Health Care Services. XIX International AIDS Conference, 2012 (Poster).
State Partner Reports
- Florida Transgender Health in Action
- New Mexico Transgender Coalition
- New Mexico Transgender Coalition's Community Preparation Inventory: Summary of the Findings2011 CATCH Report.
- New Mexico Transgender SummitReport from the statewide meeting held May 6, 2011. Cosponsored by the New Mexico Community Planning and Action Group Transgender Taskforce and Transgender Resource Center of New Mexico.
- New Mexico Transgender SummitReport from the statewide meeting held May 7, 2010. Sponsored by the New Mexico Community Planning and Action Group Transgender Taskforce.
- Maryland Transgender Coalition
- Maryland's Community Preparation Inventory: Summary of the Findings2011 CATCH Report.
- Nevada Transgender Coalition
- Nevada's Community Preparation Inventory: Summary of the Findings2011 CATCH Report.